Alaska Homebuyers: Should You Choose a New Construction or Existing Home?
Even if you've already made your homebuyer wish list—detailing everything you want in an Alaskan property from number of bedrooms to outdoor space—you may not have considered the age of the home itself. Should you choose a new construction home that includes the items on your wish list? Or should you go with an existing property in Alaska that you can make your own?
Before you begin house-hunting, you should be prepared to answer these questions and as your local real estate experts in Fairbanks, Anchorage, Eagle River, Palmer, Wasilla, North Pole and beyond, Madden Real Estate is including a few points below that can help you decide!
New Home Pros
- You'll be the first to live in the house.
- Appliances are brand-new and covered by warranties.
- Appliances, roofing and major household systems like plumbing and HVAC will have years before they need to be replaced.
- New homes will have the latest energy-efficient and safety features.
- Less maintenance.
New Home Cons
- A new home will generally cost more per square foot.
- Even with new appliances and systems, new homes are subject to malfunctions and breaks just like any other home.
- If customizing your home, you may have to compromise on choices like cabinets and flooring due to budget.
Existing Home Pros
- Existing homes generally cost less per square foot and give the Alaskan homeowner more value for their money.
- You can channel the price difference into renovations and upgrades.
- Move-in dates tend to be quicker than homes that need to be customized or finished.
- Existing homes already have appliances, landscaping and features included— you don't need to choose prior to move-in.
Existing Home Cons
- Appliances and major systems can be older and in need of repair when you purchase the home.
- The home may have had multiple owners.
- Existing homes, depending on their age, may have electrical or plumbing that is not up to current standards.
- Renovations can uncover damage from previous years and owners.
Have an idea of which type of Alaskan home you'd like to purchase this year? Need a little more assistance with your decision? We are here to help! Give Madden Real Estate a call today!